Frequently Asked Questions
Why is Manifest Maker freely available?
The National Archives of Australia has licensed Manifest Maker under the GNU General Public License version 3 (the GPLv3). Under the terms of the GPL, you are permitted to modify and redistribute the Manifest Maker code. You are free to copy and re-use both the source code and the finished Manifest Maker product.
We believe that conducting our software development in an open and public way will better serve to demonstrate the transparency and authenticity of our method of digital preservation. In addition, making our code and documentation freely available has made it easy for others to collaborate with us on further development of the software.
How can I create a manifest from multiple CDs?
This Frequently Asked Question should be read in conjunction with the Manifest Maker User Manual. The User Manual will provide more detail about what is expected at each step.
- Open Manifest Maker.
- Enter the item number (barcode) range and click Next.
- Insert the first CD.
- Select the base directory – this will be your CD-ROM drive (this may be the D: drive).
- Ensure that the item numbering in the Item Number column is correct and click Next.
- Select the Prepare digital objects for media option if you have a large number of CDs. This will write the contents of the CDs to temporary storage (usually a hard drive). If you choose not to prepare the objects for media, you should physically number each CD (such as 1 of 3, 2 of 3, 3 of 3).
- Click Next.
- Select a directory to hold the manifest file (and output files, if you selected the Prepare digital objects for media option) and click Next.
- After the manifest is generated, and the files copied (if appropriate), you can create a new manifest, continue adding to the current manifest with new media, or quit. Select Continue with new media and click Next.
- Insert the next CD, select the base directory again and click Next.
- Repeat steps 9 to 10 above until you have processed all CDs, then select Quit at step 9.